Bone Marrow Submission Guidelines
A. To receive a bone marrow interpretation, please submit the following:
- Bone marrow biopsy: (core, plug): Label with name, MRN, date and time.
- Place biopsy (core, plug) in a B+ fixative tube.
- Place clot specimen (if obtained) in a separate B+ fixative tube.
- Bone marrow aspirate:
- Six (6) unstained, unfixed, air-dried aspirate slides with name and MRN.
- Place remaining aspirate specimen in a potassium EDTA lavender-top tube. Label tube with name, MRN, date and time of collection, type of sample (bone marrow).
- Whole blood sample:
- Two (2) unstained, air-dried peripheral blood smears
- One (1) potassium EDTA lavender-top tube for a CBC OR CBCD results drawn within 48 hours of bone marrow collection.
- Complete patient/clinical history
B. Flow Cytometry
One (1) sodium heparin tube with a minimum of 1 mL of bone marrow aspirate (see NOTE).
One (1) sodium heparin tube with 1 mL of bone marrow aspirate (see NOTE).
NOTE: Two (2) sodium heparin tubes are optimal if both flow cytometry and cytogenetic studies are requested. One (1) tube is acceptable if the collection is minimal. PLEASE CLEARLY INDICATE THAT ONLY ONE TUBE HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
Special packaging and request forms are supplied along with each transport kit. If you have any questions regarding collection, processing, or transport, please call GML Client Services at 1-800-695-6491.